Wednesday 5 June 2013

Happy Birthday Brai


This is Braidyn now.

My first son Brai has just turned 14 on Monday. I always find its a time to reflect on our journey together. On his birthday i shared a little pic (above and a recent pic of Brai) I have never received so many kind messages of love and support. Brai came to me and said "mum do you know that post you put up of us has over 150 likes?" I had no idea but was so touched by that.

I gave to birth my big 9.9 pounda when i was only 17 as i said in my facebook post, I truly believe there are no accidents.I tried to remember his birth on his birthday while he was at school but sadly I don't remember a lot. It was a big ordeal for a young 17 year old, having a natural birth to a baby that big obviously was traumatic even weeks after the birth. 

Before I go on, One thing I do remember as clear as crystal, was this photo below, (This is me in the middle on a contraction.)
 This man holding my hand is Clive, he is my (step in) dad. Clive drove us to the hospital and I honestly thought he would stay for a bit then leave. Somehow he ended up with my consent to come into the birthing room. At one stage I remember just after a contraction I told him while iI caught him napping in one of those huge comfy hospital chairs. I put my head up in probably a gas induced angry state, "If your going to just sleep you may as well piss off." (Yes i tell it how it is). This made everyone in the room chuckle a bit. 
Clive somehow after that became the best birthing support partner. He was the only one I would listen to, the only one that could hold my strength as i pushed my hole weight against his.
I always planned and assumed my mum would be great but as I've told her so many times she was bloody hopeless. I just assumed mum would be great because she has given birth to 5 children. We both Clive and I agreed and still laugh at her hopeless effort. I did and still am so great full she was apart of it. 
I truly don't know how I would of got through this birth with out Clive he was so amazing.

Years latter I asked clive in a family interview what has been 3 of his best memories in life. He told me his previous wife had 3 c-sections so he was never fortunate to be apart of a natural birth. He told me Being in that room when brai was born was one of his fondest memories and then he thanked me for letting him do that. If I ever have another child I will kindly demand Clive be there to once again maybe sleep a little but mostly help.
 

Ok ok, back to Braidyn, it is his birthday after all. 
So yes having a child at 17 has obviously had its challenges but I can tell you I feel like it is one of the best decisions I have made. We have grown up together. We both have taught each other so much. 
Braidyn is such an amazing little man. He is such a credit to Ben and I, Everyone that meets Braidyn constantly tells me how special he is. I know I'm bias but he is such an incredible human, his kind, considerate, gentle, hilarious. Brai and I are really close and we have so much fun together (he still picks me flowers.)
Its pretty amazing when your 5.11, 14 year old son insist on hug's every day, they are huge hugs and I honestly feel his love and appreciation through every hug. 
I'm tearing up so I should stop because I'm at work. To say I feel honoured and truly thank full that I was chosen to be Braidyn's mum is a huge understatement. 




 Braidyn at age 5 on a holiday to Sussex Inlet my old home town.



The night before the boys birthdays we usually do a present and party table but because brai goes to sleep after us we cant do that. He woke up and told me it didn't feel like his birthday, I explained "its because you are growing up," I promised him I will always try and make him feel like its his birthday.
That day Ben and i got busy, baking, blowing balloons and decorating.
He told me that night it did feel like his birthday not only because of what we had done but one of his friends at school bought a cake and candles and they all sung him a happy birthday.





Ben bringing out the big guns!



So Braidyn I hope you had a really special birthday and you know how much
YOU ROCK OUR WORLD!

Just one more thing, I wanted to add this music video by my wonderful friend Sarah Humphreys.
We were lucky enough to be apart of this.
Goes perfect with this post I think.





 


3 comments:

  1. So beautiful! Love that kid. Young man! And then I saw my song.... aw! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was the perfect fit. I hope your doing well. I've been thinking of you a lot xxx

      Delete
  2. awww.... so sweet. he's a lovely boy xxx

    ReplyDelete