Tuesday 27 August 2013

A 10 year wedding anniversary by the river.

 



Last Sunday was a very special day for Ben and I. It was our 10 year wedding anniversary. We organised a picnic by the river to celebrate this day with our beautiful friends. The day couldn't have been more perfect. It was everything I imagined- great friends, yummy vegetarian food (all made by friends), the sounds of happy children, music, laughter and some tears. 

Although we have only known these people for a year somehow it feels like they have been in our lives for so much longer. It's really special that our friends were all able to share this day with us. We don't hold marriage of a greater importance than not being married but it was a pretty good excuse to share the love and have a great celebration.

I wrote a three page open letter to my incredible husband, and read it out to him in front of all of friends. I tried my best to get through it without falling apart and I did pretty well. I was brave and felt strong even with tears streaming down my face. Although I had a friend on hand to read this letter if i was to fall apart, I soon discovered I needed to read it till the end. We both thought it would be a little weird if she was to read it, for her and for Ben.

It's hard to sum up how much you love and adore someone in three pages. Apparently I did a great job. Ben isn't the public speaker kind and I don't need him to tell me in front of everyone how much he loves me. He shows and tells me how much he loves me everyday. 

A part of me would love to share my open letter but I wont, It's probably a little private for the web. Although I can share a little snippet: 

When I lost my pop at 14 I thought that was it for me. I never thought I would feel that love again. I know he sent me you, he knew you were the right person for the job. I sometimes think I am not worthy of the love you give me.



I knew Ben had planned something special, what I thought he might have planned was so off the mark. After I spoke, He stood up and gave me a drawing he had been working on. It was a portrait of me. Amongst other things Ben is a great artist and this is something he hasn't pursued since before we even met. I always wanted him to draw me, so you can imagine how happy and surprised I was when he gave me this gift. 

We consider ourselves pretty lucky to have something as special as what we have. We know this kind of love is rare.
It hasn't been all roses at all. It has been so much hard work, growing together and trying to blend together. 
I will never have the right words to tell this man how much I love him. He is truly an amazing human being and an incredible husband and father. 

I want to thank all my special friends and their children for spending the day with us and contributing. Thanks to my gorgeous friend Jay from and the trees for the lovely photos, although I dont like that Jay isn't in any of them. Next time I'll be sharing that amazing camera of hers. 

Leis :)

1 comment:

  1. beautiful post my darling, you two are such a delight an amazing couple who are not only wonderful parents and humans but great friends who totally dig each other, woohooo. it was an extremely special day, we loved it and i can't think of a better thing to celebrate than love.

    ReplyDelete